Friday 14 December 2012

Introducing a parkrun Event Director


Hi,

My name is Dawn Courage and I am event director of Kingscliff parkrun. Kingscliff is on the border of NSW and QLD in Australia.

Originally a runner from the IOW in the UK, I emigrated in 2006, and had not heard of parkrun. I was member of Ryde Harriers AC and also IOW Hash House Harriers.

I discovered parkrun last year and ran at Main Beach last December after a long break from running, then found Kirra which was closest to home.

When I was a serious runner back in the 90's, I was always grateful to the time keepers, with their stop watches and pieces of paper who turned up in all weather on club nights, so I thought setting up a local event  would be a good way to give something back.

So Kingscliff was launched at the end of October 2012 and we are on #8 this week.

The course is fast and flat but at present the record is ripe for smashing at 17.02.

Can be breezy as we run parallel to the Pacific Ocean, very handy for a dip straight after on hot days. We have the "official detour" for those who want to run the return leg on the sand.

The actual course is  a straight out and back along a shared pedestrian/cycle way. We have cake every week and welcome all parkrun tourists to join us.

We are small yet perfectly formed. I ask you to like us on  Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you and welcome all comments.