Tuesday 6 November 2012

New Contributor: Davie Black


Name: Davie Black
Home parkrun: Edinburgh
Date of first parkrun: 17th October 2009
Total Number of parkruns: 136 at time of writing
Number of other parkrun locations run: Nil
Number of times volunteered: 93 covering 98 roles.  Yep, sometimes two jobs at a time.
My parkrun history:
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/edinburgh/results/athletehistory?AthleteNumber=45355

As an ice hockey player I was looking around for some local events to participate in with a view to improving my stamina.  Stumbled upon Edinburgh parkrun being reported upon in the local press leading up to the inaugural event and so jollied some team mates to register with me and the rest, as they say, is history.

After a bit of a slow start and being a fair weather runner I was eventually gripped by the phenomenon that we know as parkrun and began to attend regularly.  I'm not ashamed to say that I am consumed by my local event and for those who know me they will agree wholeheartedly.  As one of the earlier 100 Clubbers at Edinburgh it really speaks for itself.

Having the capacity to do so I store and transport our equipment to and from parkrun as and when required and of course involve myself in the setting up and dismantling alongside out uber committed longest serving Run Director Gary Frater.  Although not interested in a directorship I have probably become somewhat of a 'go to guy' solely due to my own commitment to the cause.  My very regular attendance has allowed me to extend my circle of like minded friends dramatically to the point where I now describe them as my parkrun family.

I guess I'm kinda famed for my First Timers Brief at Edinburgh.  Well, if a name check and mention of the very same by Tom Williams on the parkrun Show is recognition enough then that'll do for me.  I remember taking on the role as our regular announcer had moved on and it's been left in my hands.  I've expanded it a little and added some funnies in the hope that it reduces anxiety as well as being informative to both visitors and pr virgins.  I have blogged for Edinburgh before in the official race report sense and then broke away to write my own stuff to be accessed by my parkmates through my own Facebook account.  I also collate some local stats and refer to them regularly through our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/edinburghparkrun?filter=2

Edinburgh offers a scenic and very flat run with a maximum elevation of only 8 metres on and out and back, single terrain tarmac, lollipop course.  Great for the pb's.  Indeed, as I understand, one of the top three or four flattest UK courses.

Like most contributors here I consider myself to be a bit of a parkrunaholic, a parkaddict if you will, and probably spend too much time tied up in stats and figures but you know what, I don't really care what anyone else thinks as I love it!

Thank you.

Other posts by Davie:
Sometimes it's your turn
It's best when its  earned
Edinburgh parkrun Course Description

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the posts you've added this week - happy parkrunning!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you and welcome all comments.