Saturday 28 January 2012

Five Star Leamington Spa


Name: Richard Hill
Home parkrun: Brueton, Solihull
Total Number of parkruns: 34
Parkrun locations so far: Brueton, Cannon Hill, Coventry, Killerton, Bushy, Nonsuch, Riddlesdown, Leamington
 

I did Leamington parkrun today. This was my 8th parkrun location, and the 3rd that I have done by bike, with the 28k ride from Solihull taking me an hour and 5 mins. I’m on a mission to do all the midland parkruns by bike this year.

There is a leisure centre just a little way from the parkrun start, and so I was able to take advantage of this, and transition from cycling gear to running gear, and after the run, a shower and a second change in to shopping with the Mrs gear. She came later in the car, and so I got my fix, and then clocked up some brownie points too.

I did cut it a bit fine only arriving a minute or two before the off. The run itself is on tracks around the perimeter of Newbold Comyn. It’s a little muddy, but not boggy. At about 2k there is a steep climb, but after another couple of shallow ups and downs, you’re rewarded with a long gentle descent, to about the 4k mark. Then the last kilometre is back on the flat skirting the football pitches.

Great hospitality from the volunteer team, with drinks laid on in the pavilion from where we started and finished. Thank you Leamington volunteers.

I finished the run in 23:37, 47th of 154 runners, over a minute slower than my PB at Brueton last week, but still happy enough with my time. I should have allowed myself a bit more time before the start.  Wasn’t prepared for the hill etc etc. I’m always full of excuses.

As a “parkrun tourist” destination, Leamington gets 5 stars in my book. It has a great course and lovely people. Other pluses being the proximity of the leisure centre and the renowned town centre.  I’m hoping to do it again soon and will hopefully improve my time.
 
Next stop Conkers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Richard. The hill is steep isn't. That and the mud around the football pitches make it a tough run for a PB at this time if year, but it certainly a lovely location for a parkrun.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you and welcome all comments.