Monday 16 January 2012

New Contributor: Jenny McClelland

Name: Jenny McClelland
Home Parkrun: Wythenshawe

Date of first Parkrun: March 2010
Total Number of Parkruns: 24

Number of other Parkrun locations run: Bramhall

Number of times volunteered: 4+
My Parkrun history: click here



I started running in 2009 after entering a Cancer Research 5km Race for Life. After a couple of training runs in the three weeks leading up to it I was chuffed when I finished the race in 37:52mins. I was hooked and ready for more!

I started to get bored going out on my own and didn't feel confident enough to join a running club, but after browsing the internet for ideas I stumbled across Parkrun and have never looked back.

After a few emails back and forth to the organiser of the Bramhall Parkrun I was reassured that Parkrun was for everybody, fast and slow, younger and older, and it was the norm for 'newbies' to do a walk/run around the course at their own pace.

I now do a more local parkrun at Wythenshawe which was set up in July 2011. As it's still a fairly new venue the numbers can vary each week, but with the 'regulars' who turn up religiously every Saturday to either run or volunteer, there's a real community feel about the event and you never see anybody without a smile on their face.

Since starting the parkruns in 2010 I've seen my speed increase by over 11 minutes and I've made a lot of new friends of all ages. It's also given me the confidence to progress onto 10km races, join my local running club, and train for a half marathon.

If you've not done a Parkrun before then give it a go, I promise you'll get hooked too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you and welcome all comments.